Other authorities that might be able to help

Sometimes, we're not the right agency to resolve people's concerns.

Other authorities that might be able to help include:

  • State Services Commission: concerns about the performance of public service departments, and integrity and conduct in the public service and the wider State services.
  • Office of the Ombudsmen:
    • complaints under the Ombudsmen Act 1975 about “matters of administration”, such as an allegation of unfair treatment by a public sector organisation or other matter that affects an individual personally, and
    • reviews of decisions under the Official Information Act 1982 or Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, such as a request for access to official information that has been declined.
  • New Zealand Police or Serious Fraud Office: fraud, which can include matters of criminal misconduct involving a public office holder, and related criminal proceedings.
  • Privacy Commissioner: complaints about interferences with privacy under the Privacy Act 1993, such as refusal of access to personal information.
  • Human Rights Commission: complaints about discrimination on grounds such as age, ethnic origin, and disability.
  • Health and Disability Commissioner: complaints of breaches of the Code of Health and Disability Services Consumers’ Rights, concerning both publicly owned and private providers.
  • Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment: concerns that the environment may be, or has been, adversely affected.
  • Commerce Commission: anti-competitive behaviour by businesses, and false or misleading trading practices.
  • Charities Commission: conduct in breach of the Charities Act or serious wrongdoing in connection with a registered charity.
  • Securities Commission: securities markets activities, matters that may affect the interests of investors, and possible breaches of securities law.
  • Complaint Line: a gateway website for disputes resolution and investigation agencies that provide the New Zealand public with complaint resolution processes.

Page last updated: 18 March 2015